Menopause – that scary time in a woman’s life when everything seems to change. It’s not just the absence of your monthly cycle…. It’s the weight gain, the anxiety, the low libido, the blood pressure issues, etc. If you’re menopausal, you know what I’m talking about. If you’re starting to have longer menstrual cycles, you’re not quite there yet but close.
If you’re not menopausal yet, the good news is you don’t have to stress but you do need to take action. Whether you chose to treat your hormonal decline with bioidentical hormones or optimize your health to minimize symptoms, as long as you have a targeted plan for how to support your body through the transition it doesn’t have to feel like your world got flipped upside down.
As women age, and approach age 45-55, our bodies decrease the production of estrogens, the master hormone regulating a woman’s body. This decline triggers a cascade of events, including the loss of your monthly cycle but more importantly an increased risk factor for Autoimmune syndromes, Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Memory issues, Heart disease, Cancer, Osteoporosis, Arthritis, etc.
Experiencing any of these?!!
- Increased fracture risk from bone loss
- Weight gain average 10#
- Increased blood pressure
- Increase in cholesterol
- Increase in mood swings, depression
- Loss of libido and orgasm
- Increase in inflammation
- Vaginal dryness and pain
- Migraines / headaches
- Brain fog
- Memory loss
- Hot Flashes
- Hair loss
- Droopy breast tissue
- Heartburn/ GERD
- Acne or Rosacea
- Fluid retention
- Irregular bleeding and cramps
- Tender breasts
- Dry skin and hair
- Fibroid growth
- Dry eyes
- Facial hair
It’s time to figure out what’s going on with your hormones, your nutrition, your exercise and take a targeted approach to DECREASING your risk for chronic disease, oh and GETTING YOUR LIFE BACK!
Typical medications for a post-menopausal woman include:
- Anti-Hypertensive or cardiac
- Cholesterol lowering medication
- Diabetic medication
- Sleep medications
- Bone health
- Allergy meds
- Acid Reflux meds
Who wants to be taking all those?!
Hormone depletion is a major contributor to the aging process. Hormones that build tissues and improve immunity decline with age by 50-80%!
- Progesterone(women) starts to decline at age 30
- Estradiol(women) disappears at around age 50 (which just happens to coincide with the onset of menopause)
- Testosterone(women) declines by up to 50% from the age of 20 all the way up to the start of menopause
Every day 3,500 women enter into menopause!!! Are you getting close or there yet?
Well, what can be done?!!!
- Keep your body moving – build muscle (yes use weights!)
- Sensitizes your body to insulin
- Improves testosterone
- Decreases risk for osteoporosis and depression
- Anti-inflammatory diet
- Limit grains/ dairy/ sugar
- Emphasize colorful fruits and vegetables, nuts/ seeds/ quality proteins
- Support your body’s ability to produce hormones
- Bioidentical hormone replacement
- Can use herbs to support, but limitations
- Keep your liver healthy – it clears out your hormones
- Think low caffeine/ alcohol/ sugar
Most women in my practice elect to use bioidentical hormones to decrease their symptoms and improve their quality of life. Can you imagine what it would feel like to have great sex again without discomfort? Or to sleep through the night? Yes, it is possible.
Many people wonder “What are Bio-Identical Hormones?” It’s a term used to describe plant hormones synthesized to have the molecular structure of a human hormone. They can be used to decrease health risks associated with menopause and increase well-being and vitality. They need to be monitored and tested to ensure appropriate dosing. That’s why it’s so important to work with a doctor who understands how hormones interact with each other and your body at large.
Ok ladies (and men who want their women to get their lives back)…. Here’s what I want you to understand:
- Menopause is “Natural” but the decline of hormones has major health risks and there are many things that can be done to improve your quality of life and health for the coming 20-40 years of your life you still have to live.
- You don’t need to suffer
- You can have great sex
- You can stay fit
- You can protect your health into your 80s-90s+
Menopause doesn’t need to scare you when you know what’s coming and what you can do!
To LIVING AN AWESOME LIFE!